What is the typical pipeline to setup C/C++ development environment on cuBox

Hi All,
We just bought some I4P-300-D cuBox machines for developing our applications, and successfully installed the Buster image on it.

Typically there are two options to set the development environment: (1) host-target mode, (2) target machine only mode. What is the recommendation in this community. Especially if we choose (1), where is the detailed document to install the 3rd party packages (such as opencv, boost, IDE etc), on host machine and how to debug the c/c++ code?

Thank you very much!

Generally that is up to what is most comfortable and the size of the project. Especially for embedded hardware some projects are just too large to efficiently compile on the device. If you are using an interpreted language then obviously this is not an issue and target machine development is fine.

Our buster image is just a debian release with a few additional packages from NXP’s BSP needed to fully support the hardware. Installing 3rd party hardware is the same as any other Debian distro, basically using the apt command.

Thanks jnettlet,

What i did so far is choose the “target only mode”. After starting the machine from SDCard, I installed development env by the following cmds:

#upgrade Debian 10 pkgs
$sudo apt update
$sudo apt upgrade
$sudo reboot

#install gcc and run helloworld.cpp
$sudo apt-get update
$sudo apt-get install --reinstall build-essential
$gcc helloworld.cpp -lstdc++
$./a.out

Finally, I installed/built the tools such as cmake, opencv etc and started my application development .

But i am still wondering how to setup the “host-target mode”.

Debian, does not have a specific mechanism for host target development. This will generally be a feature of the IDE you are choosing. More and more containers are being used to simplify host target developement.

Yocto builds do fully support this method of development and have a very well documented procedure for it including integration into the eclipse IDE.