Upstream Kernel Status

Probably a question for NXP, but,

What is the status of the LX2160 in the upstream (kernel.org) Linux tree ?

I can see the dts files for cex7 have been there since v5.6, so quite a while.

Cheers,

Neil

For device-tree booting the platform has been fully supported in mainline for a considerable amount of time. NXP continues to upstream patches in a timely manner, and generally there is very little in their BSP kernel that is not in mainline.

Excellent, so just no ACPI ? one can boot from UEFI with Tianocore using devicetree easy enough.

So would the Ubuntu 22.04 6.2 HWE Kernel work ok out of the box ?

There is basic ACPI support, it depends what you require. We have tried multiple times to get support upstreamed but been rejected by the ARM maintainers. Many users use HoneyComb with the ACPI firmware and mainline kernels.

Do not use EDK2 and device-tree. That device-tree does not match mainline, it is used only for developer testing and to configure the edk2 devices.

Currently we recommend using u-boot and device-tree for full device support due to the issues getting mainline support for ACPI accepted.

I’m not sure I follow you here ? I would use the dtb built by linux and load it from the boot partition, the linux efi stub knows how to load the dtb and pass it to the kernel, example from one of our devices:

Shell> fs0:
FS0:\>Image dtb=blaize-blzp1600-d1600p.dtb earlycon console=ttyS0,115200
EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel...
FSOpen: Open 'blaize-blzp1600-d1600p.dtb' Success
EFI stub: Using DTB from command line
EFI stub: Exiting boot services and installing virtual address map...
[ 0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000000000 [0x410fd034]

It gets trickier if you want to do secure boot as the dtb needs to be built into the edk2 binary.

At some point I will have a play with EFI on LX2106a, uboot is fine for development and testing.

No, if you want Linux to use a device-tree file, then use u-boot as the bootloader not edk2.